Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Integrity Parachute



Richard Winn - Fri, 05/13/2011 - 08:57

Larry, you ask a relevant question: "Has anyone attempted to determine why a significant number of top church administrators have left their positions to seek employment in healthcare?"

A number of my former pastoral colleagues who migrated to SDA health care fields, while not "top administrators," would likely join me in an answer something like this: "I am no longer comfortable with the expectation that I should preach sermons about the 2300 days, give Bible studies that prove we are the remnant, or whip up last-day alarms each time there is an earthquake. But the SDA system has created a world-wide network of healthcare that seeks to meet people's real needs through skilled and compassionate caring. I can still preserve my SDA identity within a career that preserves my integrity."

Larry, how many of our Seminary colleagues would fit somewhat within this frame?

Cartoon modified from Non Sequitur, by Wiley
(click to enlarge)

No comments: